Occupational Safety Advisor - 3-month contract - £350 - £550 per day
Aberdeen - Hybrid working with some travel.
The Occupational Safety Advisor is a highly technical, competent, professional role in the Distribution team that provides proactive and pragmatic occupational safety advice and guidance to internal customers throughout the Distribution business. The Occupational Safety Advisor is responsible for helping to ensure supporting managers address business risk by promoting a practical understanding across all safety processes (e.g. safe management of work including CDM, Working at Height, Contractor Management, Confined Spaces, managing Asbestos, Driving, etc). The person in the role operates as the occupational safety conscience of the business.
- Ensure the Occupational Safety Advisor is a trusted partner both internally within the Distribution Team and across the Distribution business keeping people safe as projects are developed, delivered, operated, and decommissioned.
- They will also be required to complete assessments/ audits of businesses, organisations, and contractors.
- Provide committed support for the success of the Distribution team, the Distribution business.
- The Occupational Safety Advisor will be responsible for providing safety related advice and support to the business and for ensuring projects delivered within their remit reduce risk and improve governance.
- Liaise as required with the Occupational Health Team to ensure coordination and cooperation regarding the health aspects which interface with occupational safety and health.
- Working with the Occupational Safety Manager to deliver the Safety Family requirements in line with the safety programme, ensuring this is delivered in a clear, consistent, and frequent way including working with Preferred/ Strategic Contractors to develop stronger, safer and respectful relationships on site.
- The Occupational Safety Advisor will ensure the support required to achieve a culture change in relation to positive behaviours, which is delivered in a clear, consistent, and frequent way.
- Manage performance standards to ensure the successful implementation of the SHE management systems and the performance of contractors.
- The Occupational Safety Advisor is required to engage with relevant third-party agencies and organisations to ensure that the Business Unit is well represented externally in line with policies.
- Provide effective technical support to the business for the management of serious incidents including dangerous occurrences and near hits.
- Escalate incidents in line with the escalation process and ensure incidents are recorded, reviewed, communicated, and reported at the appropriate levels.
- Carry out/ assist with investigations into incidents by applying the range of tools and techniques to determine root cause to avoid recurrence.
- Provide governance to ensure remedial actions arising from investigations are implemented in a timely and appropriate manner including communications to share lessons learned to relevant stakeholders in the business.
- Provide occupational safety support to Local Safety Groups, regional management meetings and other operational groups as necessary.
- Actively promote and carry out regular site audits and inspections and work closely with contractors to implement improvement initiatives.
- Ensure that Business Unit teams are fully briefed in relation to findings and related actions arising from compliance and assurance activities.
- Assist on the development and implementation of occupational safety arrangements in the Distribution Management system, ensuring that the associated processes/ documentation is effective, accurate, complete, consistent, unambiguous, well-structured, and concise.
- Identify and implement opportunities for continual improvement of the Distribution Management System documentation and related business processes through effective analysis of information from audits, inspections, and incident investigations.
- Ensure effective stakeholder engagement via on-going liaison with senior management, Subject Matter Experts and external stakeholders to maintain fit for purpose documentation.
- Ensure effective delivery of project plans arising from the management of occupational safety and monitor implementation of agreed actions assigned to stakeholders.
- Provide expert technical advice on the effective implementation of occupational safety and associated processes/ documentation including the provision and facilitation of information, instruction, training, and supervision.
- Analyse, prepare, plan, organise and control technical documentation in accordance with company document control procedures.
- Graduate qualification in Occupational Safety (e.g. NEBOSH Diploma) or related discipline or appropriate proven knowledge and experience (minimum of 3 years preferred)
- Registered member of IOSH or equivalent organisation with continuing professional development (or desire to work towards)
- Experience drafting clear, unambiguous technical documentation (minimum of 3 years preferred)
- Detailed knowledge of qualitative and quantitative risk assessments techniques including demonstrable experience of the application of ALARP risk assessment
If you meet the criteria for this role and are available for a contract please apply!